December 16, 2020
Residents, Families and Partners:
As I am sure many of you are aware, Wisconsin is experiencing an increase in the reported COVID cases. We still have no residents that are showing signs or symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19.
However, we have recently learned that one of our employees has tested positive for the virus. This individual has not been in the building since December 11 and was not showing signs or symptoms of the virus while at work. When the staff member was in the building, all appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) was used and good social distance was practiced when not providing care. Given these factors, the CDC guidelines indicate the risk to our residents is lower.
As a result of learning of this positive employee test result, we immediately did rapid testing on all staff and diagnostic testing on all residents. All results came back negative for the virus.
We continue to follow all CDC and local health department guidelines in both determining the employee’s possible return to work date and any additional precautions that will be taken upon the employee’s return to work. We also will continue:
- Strongly encourage all residents (and ask families to encourage residents) when outside of their room to wear masks, practice good hand hygiene and engage in social distancing;
- Requiring that all staff wear masks and practice social distancing when in the facility and encourage staff to do so while off duty outside of the facility;
- Assess and check temperatures of all staff and essential visitors (external healthcare providers, end-of-life visitors) upon entry into the building;
- Monitor all staff and residents for any signs and symptoms of the virus; and
- More frequent cleaning of all high touch surfaces in common areas throughout the building.
As is usual, we will notify residents’ primary physicians and designated family members of any changes in their loved one’s condition, whether potentially related to COVID-19 or not.
We will keep you updated as any changes at the facility occur. Please reach out with questions, concerns, or requests for assistance.